Constant changes to the NHL regular season schedule are creating havoc with television networks, fans, and sports gamblers. It's even more chaotic trying to predict starting lineups. Here's one tool that helps to manage all the craziness.
NHL Games Postponed – Blame Omicron
The NHL schedule is in turmoil. It's having significant impacts on fantasy hockey and sports betting.
The first key is to figure out who's playing and who's not.
Check out DAILY FACE OFF, which is updated continuously and is easy to read and follow. One very helpful notation is seeing how many games each team is playing this week. Obviously, teams that play 4 games or more are likely to suffer from fatigue. However, playing 0 games or 1 game isn't necessarily a good thing either, since teams can be rusty if they don't play regularly. This is especially true for defence and goaltending.
Upcoming Games the Next Two Weeks (Subject to Changes)
Here’s a recap for the next two weeks, starting on January 3rd:
Week of January 3, 2022:
- 0 Games: Canadiens, Islanders
- 1 Game: Sabres, Kraken, Canucks
- 2 Games: Hurricanes, Oilers, Kings, Wild, Senators, Maple Leafs, Capitals, Jets
- 3 Games: Ducks, Coyotes, Bruins, Flames, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Blue Jackets, Stars, Red Wings, Panthers, Predators, Devils, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Sharks, Blues, Lightning, Golden Knights
Week of January 10, 2022:
- 1 Game: Flames, Oilers, Wild, Golden Knights
- 2 Games: Islanders, Blues, Jets
- 3 Games: Ducks, Coyotes, Sabres, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Stars, Red Wings, Panthers, Kings, Canadiens, Predators, Devils, Rangers, Senators, Flyers, Penguins, Sharks, Maple Leafs, Capitals
- 4 Games: Bruins, Avalanche, Kraken, Lightning, Canucks
Note the five teams with FOUR games scheduled next week, some of which are coming after playing THREE games during the previous week. That could mean SEVEN games within a 2-week stretch.